What in news:
· China launched Gaofen-11, an optical remote sensing satellite, as part of the country's high-resolution Earth observation project.
· The Gaofen-11 satellite was launched on a Long March 4B rocket at 11 am Beijing Time from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province.
· It was the 282nd flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
· The satellite, believed to be an optical imaging craft, is the latest in the Gaofen line of Chinese Earth observation missions.
Uses of Gaofen-11:
The satellite can be used for:
ü Land survey
ü Urban planning
ü Road network design
ü Disaster relief.
ü Belt and Road Initiative.
· Since the Gaofen project began in 2010, China has gained an increasingly clearer view of the planet.
· China had unveiled the BRI in 2013 with an aim to link Southeast Asia, Central Asia, the Gulf region, Africa and Europe with a network of land and sea routes. China launched the Gaofen project in 2010.
· China’s Gaofen satellites are part of the China High-Resolution Earth Observation System, or CHEOS.
· Chinese officials say the CHEOS satellite fleet is a civilian-operated program comprising optical and radar imaging spacecraft and authorities have published high-resolution imagery taken by previous Gaofen satellites.
· The launch of Gaofen 11 was China’s 22nd space launch of the year, equaling a record number of launches set by China in 2016.
· In that year, Chinese rockets launched with satellites 22 times, but they suffered one failure and one partial failure.
· All of China’s launches this year have been successful.
Expected prelims question:
Consider the following statements
1. Recently China launched Gaofen-11, an optical remote sensing satellite
2. It is used for land survey, urban planning etc.
Which of the following statements are/is correct?
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 and 2
d) None of above
Ans - c
Expected mains question:
China launched Gaofen-11, an optical remote sensing satellite.in light to this launch critically analyse the role of remote sensing satellites in maintaining strategic relations with its neighboring countries