PM Modi says India to launch its first manned space mission by 2022
What in news:
· India will launch its first manned space mission by 2022, Prime Minister NarendraModiwhich could make it the fourth nation to do so after the United States, Russia and China.
· An Indian astronaut, be it a man or a woman, will go on a space odyssey by 2022 on board 'Gaganyaan', Prime Minister NarendraModi said in his Independence Day address from the Red Fort in Delhi.
· PM Modi said when India celebrates 75th year of Independence in 2022, "and if possible even before, an Indian son or daughter" will be part of a manned space mission on board 'Gaganyaan' "carrying the national flag".
· The proposed human spaceflight programme (HSP) has been on table since 2004.
· ISRO is still long way away, despite advancements in some critical technologies required to send astronaut being into space.
· The mission will be completed at budget of Rs 10,000 crore and some of technology components required for it already have been developed.
· This includes heavy-lift launch vehicle (GLSV Mark-III), re-entry and recovery technology, crew module, Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS) and astronaut training..
· The required key technologies ISRO still has to develop for such mission
· It includes ability to launch, recover and ensure earth-like conditions for astronauts
· ISRO so far has successfully tested many of the technologies required for such a manned mission, but there are still others to be developed and tested.
· Successfully tested technologies are In December 2014, experimental flight of GSLV Mk-III was successfully tested.
· It also had successfully tested experimental crew module, demonstrating reentry capability.
· In June 2017, first developmental flight of GSLV Mk-III was successfully conducted. In July 2018, first successful flight of crew escape system was tested.
Expected prelims question:
Consider the following statements:
1. India has launched its first manned space mission by 2022
2. heavy-lift launch vehicle (GLSV Mark-III), re-entry and recovery technology has been developed in India
which of above statements are/is correct?
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 and 2
d) None of above
Ans – b
Expected mains question:
Critically analyse the role of science and technology in India’s Inclusive Growth.